Sunday, November 16, 2014

Hi There

It is rare that a week goes by without a blog post.  Time is passing us by so quickly, too quickly.  For me, stopping to reflect and post a little something is an important way to stay present and grateful.  So I'm hoping that there aren't more weeks that fly by like last week did, without making time to pause and share.

I hardly remember what made the week feel so fast and busy, luckily my phone camera roll acts like my memory...so as I scroll through I remember...what follows is not the most interesting post...but it feels good to post something.

I spent Monday and Tuesday, all day both days, with a pro organizer who helped me get my home act together.  With age I have gained the wisdom and the acceptance of the fact that my vision for how my home should be does not align to my skills, interest level or capacity to make it so.  If I had an issue like that at work, where my vision did not match my abilities, I would outsource the gap - and hire help.  So, I am trying that strategy at home.  I hated every second of the process - home organizing and everything associated with it is a total bore to me, and I hate boring things...but I sucked it up and helped out and love the results.  The pro I hired was so pro...she was easy to hang out with and great at her job.  It boggles my mind that anyone would love organizing so much...but she seemed to.  Lets see if I can maintain the good work....ask me to share photos in 6 months.  For now, I feel lighter and happier, so it was worth the investment (in time and euros).  We focused on dry food storage, toys and arts & craft supplies.  Highlights below:






Tuesday was a holiday here, St. Maartin.  My favorite Dutch holiday for sure, and one I will certainly miss dearly when we move away someday.  Perhaps you remember last year's celebration?  The kids made awesome lanterns again this year, they wowed me with their ability to sing and communicate in Dutch, and the 100ish kids that came to our door were adorable and sweet and full of good songs.  This holiday makes our street and neighborhood come together so beautifully, we are so happy to live where we live (not only in Amsterdam, but on our exact block in our exact house).  This holiday deserves its own separate post, far far away from the boringness of home organization posts.  So I will do that soon.

Wednesday and Thursday feel like a blur.  I have been working a lot, which includes late nights.  And I have been sick.  Bad combo.  Wednesdays and Thursdays are always kind of a blur because in addition to school (which is only half a day on Wednesdays) the kids have lots of activities crammed into those 2 days (Judo, Storytime, Football, Swim Lessons, Football again), so I am on the bike a bunch, which we all love. The sun sets so so so early here these days - like, before 5.  So we get to enjoy awesome sunsets as we cruise home from afternoon activities.  How pretty in pink is that sky?

Swim class happens in the oldest pool of the city - which happens to be right by our house, and beautiful.  Maybe the instructor rocks a speedo.  

This is our caravan to Thursday football.  LOVE.  



Friday, while P was in art class, W and I went to check out this place.  An entire store dedicated to Pepernoten!  It is Pepernoten season here, and we were excited to load up.  




 As we rolled home, around 5pm, we loved seeing the holiday lights all over town.  I love city living year round, but especially at the holidays!  It sparkles!
Ahhh...it feels good to catch up a bit.  St. Maartin post coming soon.  And right now, we are off to catch Sinterklaas, who came to town today (by boat from spain)...he and his (controversial*) helpers give out lots and lots of pepernoten...we are ready to fill our pockets and our tummys as we take in this Amsterdam tradition!

*Article above, via bloomberg, captures the latest in this ongoing saga.  My running friend and neighbor CP is the editor on this and many other fab stories around Europe.  I point that out, because I think it is so so cool.  I heart smart girls.

Wow, that was a long and full post, covering lots of random things.  I forgive you if you never get to this final sentence...but if you do, thanks!

2 comments:

Jen Sharp Gorman said...

loved this post and LOVE YOU! xoxo

Mary said...

Epic post! I am loving the pink skies here in Boston too. That's a nice thing about the evening commute. Also love the organizing! Oh those clean drawers and labeled containers make me so happy! If only it didn't take so much time and money to keep up with it. But we keep trying. I'm not in bad shape, but there's always room for improvement.

I know what you mean about the busy days flying by. My blog has been somewhat neglected lately, and I miss it. I think the lack of pictures makes it harder for me to post. More pictures, more posts.

Love the lanterns too!

Is it ski season yet? (I got the boys' skis this weekend, so I'm excited and ready to go!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...